December 20, 2007

Litte Red Knitted Pouches

I have been really busy busy making holiday gifts this year. I decided to take on the project of making little zipper knitted pouches for all the girls on my list. I really underestimated how time consuming they are to make and even more so since i am quite challenged when it comes to putting in zippers or using a sewing machine!... by the way i just bought a used sewing machine and i am trying to figure it out as i go! Despite my challenges, I think they turned out pretty cute and i had fun picking out different fabrics to place into the pouches making them all different. I felt addicted to the red boucle yarn i used -- just loved the texture of it.. so decided to keep that the same on all of them. Below is how i made them:



  • knit one row, pearl next; repeat until the desired size you want the pouch, fold in half, right sides facing; sew sides together with yarn needle. I used a 5mm gauge needle for an 8 gauge Boucle yarn so that it was a nice tight knit.. and i made 26 stitches and about 10 inches long.


  • Zipper: Unzip zipper and pin inside pouch, and hand-sew in place with strudy thread.


  • For liner, use thin cotton fabric. Fold down short ends 1-inch, wrog sides facing; iron to crease. Fold cloth in half, end to end, righ sides faceing; sew along sides using 1/4-inch seam allowance. Do not turn inside out and just pace liner in pouch and whipstich folded ends to zipper tape directly under zipper's teeth. Then add a ribbon to the to zipper!


  • I added a cute little santa tag with a long explanation about how much love i put into it! If anyone needs me to email the tag to you, just let me know.

No comments: